Director of Development Full Time
Purpose of Position: Ensure the continued success of the Women’s Enterprise Development Center’s fundraising efforts focusing on the development and implementation of an annual fundraising plan and strategy with goals.
Agency Overview: The Women’s Enterprise Development Center Inc. (WEDC) is a non-profit microbusiness development program, a Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Women’s Business Center, and an Empire State Development Corporation Entrepreneurial Assistance Program (EAP) Center for both Westchester and the Mid-Hudson area, serving the counties of Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Dutchess, Orange, Ulster and Sullivan. WEDC’s small business training programs and services are designed to help women achieve economic self-sufficiency through small business ownership. WEDC offers a wide array of programs and services in English and Spanish to help entrepreneurs at every stage of business development from when they are first exploring a business idea to when they are ready to grow and access capital for it. Founded in 1997, WEDC serves more than 1,000 clients annually many of whom lack access to traditional banking and business resources and the majority of whom are low to moderate income.
Working with the Chief Executive Officer, and the Board of Directors, the Director will develop and implement an annual and long term fundraising plan and strategy with specific goals and with a focus on the cultivation of individual donors and corporate foundations. This includes grant research, grant writing and reporting. Main responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Write, submit grant applications and reports in coordination with WEDC’s CEO and WEDC’s annual grant schedule.
- Research, identify and evaluate private and corporate funding opportunities that align with WEDC’s overall mission of empowering entrepreneurs and strengthening our economy.
- Write clear and concise letters of inquiry to foundations, banks and corporations that present WEDC’s programs, services and clients in a compelling manner.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors to maintain relationships with donors. This includes drafting correspondence, scheduling meetings, briefing them prior to each meeting as to its purpose and other relevant information, such as size of ask, current level of support, etc. Maintain and grow individual donor base by identifying and cultivating potential donors and maintaining stewardship of current donors.
- Develop and manage production and distribution of various fundraising materials including annual appeals, targeted letters, and special outreach materials.
- Coordinates mailings to funders, including thank you letters and tax acknowledgements, update form letters and introductory letters. Manage all donor communications and all stages of donor pipeline (donor database, acknowledgement, etc.).
- Maintains and updates the donor tracking database (currently Fund E-Z.). Work with event planners on Annual Fundraiser, usually in the spring.
- Contributes to team effort and environment at WEDC.
- Minimum three years fundraising and development experience and a commitment to and appreciation of the Center’s mission and work
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, speaking and time management skills to meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with all stakeholders and co-workers
- Ability to drive results through cooperation, collaboration, under minimal supervision, with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrated grant writing success
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and database management programs
- Ability to work a minimal number of evenings and/or weekends as dictated by events
- Ability to be flexible and work as part of a team as well as independently
Professional Level: Managerial
Education: 4-year degree; graduate degree is preferred
How to Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone inquiries. Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.