M/WBE Certification Programs
Information and programs are provided for those who wish to do business with the government and corporations that have supplier diversity programs. Many M/WBEs become certified in order to enhance their business opportunities.
For assistance with M/WBE certification please contact Cynthia Marsh-Croll at 845-363-6432 or email@example.com
WEDC can help you become certified with NYS as a Minority/Women Business Enterprise (M/WBE). After you are certified, we will help you to learn how to market your business and win government contracts.
1. To get started, first find out if your firm is qualified for certification.
To qualify for New York State certification as a minority and/or women-owned business enterprise (M/WBE), an applicant must successfully demonstrate the following:
- All firms seeking MBE, WBE or MWBE or M/WBE certification must be owned, operated and controlled by minority members and/or women.
- The ownership must be real, substantial and continuing, and the minority members and/or women must exercise the authority to independently control the day-to-day business decisions.
- Each minority or woman who has an ownership interest in the firm must have a net worth which does not exceed 3.5 million dollars. This calculation should not include the ownership interest in the applicant firm, the primary residence of the owner(s), and $500,000 of present cash value of any qualified retirement savings plan, or individual retirement account held by the individual less any penalties for early withdrawal.
- The firm cannot exceed 300 employees.
- The firm must operate independently of other firms.
- Generally, the business must be in operation for at least one year.
2. If you qualify for certification, you will need to assemble these documents (click here).
3. Now that you have your documents ready, go to the Empire State Development website (click here) and fill out the on-line application.
4. When you have finished filling out the application, please contact us with questions and ask for a cover letter to help expedite your submission.